Friday, November 9, 2012

Whoever They Are

I watched an episode of Dr. Phil titled "Moms Who Hate Their Own Children". The first mom has a 14-year-old daughter that is autistic. She tells her daughter that she hates her, she can't stand her, asks her what the hell is wrong with her, etc. She also pushes and hits her. The mother said she was a good mom to her when she was little. But, now she doesn't understand the way the girl acts, and doesn't understand autism. Her and her husband are both well-educated. She assumed when her and her husband had the baby, that the baby would be "normal". That the baby would be healthy, just like so many people.

I've heard so many people say, and have even said it myself (to an expectant mother, about a baby before it's born), "We don't care if it's a boy or girl, just as long as it's healthy." Well, of course everyone would wish for their baby to be healthy, but what if it isn't? What if your child is autistic, has Down Syndrome, has learning disabilities, is missing a limb, has an extra finger, has any disfigurement, mental disorder, physical limitations, blind, deaf, etc.

For us, who aren't moms yet, and have been on this journey awhile with no success, our answer is a little different now. When someone asks us, "Do y'all want a boy or a girl, or doesn't it matter, just healthy?", our response is "We just want a baby, just to be moms." Of course we don't wish for our children to have any limitations or anything that would make people want to label them as "different". But, we welcome whatever our child/children bring us.

We vow to embrace them, love them, cherish them, whoever they are!

Written by Barbara

5 comments:

  1. We really pray that this time will bring you both your hearts desires. I know we don't see eye to eye and we know we have made mistakes and have judged you when that is not our place.But we love you both and always will and we keep you in our prayers. We pray when this baby is born (and he or she will be ) that we will be good grandparents. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mom. We love you and Dad too. Y'all have always been good grandparents to all the kids. We would love for our children to have y'all as their Mamaw and Papaw. We have all made mistakes, and their has been miscommunications on all our parts. We forgive y'all and hope you forgive us.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for forgiving us and we do forgive y'all. Lets just put the past behind us and move forward. I really NEED my daughter in my life.There are so many times I want to tell you something or just need reassuring about something. You always seem to have the answers when I am worried about your Dad.

      Delete
  2. People used to ask my sister in law 'what are you having'?! And she would say, hopefully not puppies! It is a fear in every parents mind I think. I watch my Happy Baby every day terrified something could happen. I think it is part of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I totally watched the same Dr. Phil! Lol, Dr. Phil is my guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete